It is no secret summer is the more popular time of year to complete a home remodel. In fact, remodeling contractor queries on Angie’s List in June, July and August total one-third of all remodeling contractor queries in the other nine months of the year. The most popular remodeling projects, per Angie’s List data, include kitchen, bathroom and bedroom overhauls, updated lighting, and expanded closets and pantries.
According to Angie Hicks, co-founder of Angie’s List, hiring too quickly for a home remodeling project can lead to serious consequences. To ensure you hire the right professional for your project, Hicks advises:
• Researching 5 to 10 potential companies to determine local reputation, how well their work stands the test of time, and if they specialize in the work you want done;
• Getting at least three written estimates to compare costs and timeliness;
• Verifying applicable trade license, bonding and insurance status;
• Insisting on a payment schedule tied to project progress and keeping at least 10 percent back until the job is complete to your satisfaction;
• Including the payment schedule and a termination clause in your written contract that allows you to walk away easier if terms are not met.
Source: Angie’s List