While the summer is winding down, your energy bills may still be soaring. When thinking about ways to save, Aire Serv recommends keeping an eye on energy-sucking culprits that are racking up homeowners’ utility bills without them knowing, such as dirty air filters. Other considerations to keep in mind when managing your HVAC unit:
– Clean or replace air filters for the best air distribution from registers and vents and maximize cooling capacity and performance
– Keep outdoor unit clean and free of debris, grass clippings, bushes and shrubs to maximize airflow and performance
– Ceiling fans create a wind chill effect, allowing you to adjust thermostat settings by 4-7 degrees Fahrenheit, for up to 30 percent savings and still remain comfortable. Ensure savings by verifying a counterclockwise motion during the summer months, and turning off fans when you leave the room.
– Walls, windows and attics must be properly insulated, otherwise a home’s temperature will be much harder to control. Make sure to check your insulation and caulk any gaps in the seals.
– Blocked or closed vents can make AC units work harder than they should, as they don’t allow for proper airflow. The unit will continue to run but the rooms won’t cool. Always unblock and open all vents and registers before running the AC unit.
– Install a programmable thermostat to control the temperature of the home from a mobile device. Adjusting the temperature while you’re out can significantly reduce the utility bill.
Source: Aire Serv