By Barbara Pronin
If Santa left a shiny new iPhone under your tree, you probably already know how to call, text, and check email. But, say the communications experts at Business Insider, there are tips and tricks that can help you maximize your time and effort. Bonus: most of these tips will work just as well with your iPad.
• Turn off LTE to save battery – On the iPhone 5, you can save battery life in a pinch by going to Settings, then General, then Cellular. Or choose the Enable LTE toggle; if you need to save battery and can spare some Internet speed, turn this option off.
• Lock the screen orientation – To lock your screen orientation, double tap the home button and swipe to the right. You’ll see a gray circle opposite the rewind button. Tap that once and a lock will appear, so when you turn your phone sideways the orientation will stay put.
• Automatically download new apps – A handy feature if you have several Apple devices: New apps and music will download automatically to all of them if you go to Settings and navigate to the middle of the page. Select the Store option, and once inside, under Automatic Downloads, switch on options for music, apps or both.
• View websites in full screen – While browsing a web site in Safari, turn your iPhone to the side (landscape) and tap the full-screen icon (arrows coming together in the bottom right) and you can view a website without distraction.
• Create a custom vibration – This can let you know who is calling or texting without having to look at the phone. Go to Settings, then tap Sounds at the bottom of the page. You’ll be able to select custom vibration or record your own – and you can adjust the length of it, too.
• Use Siri to set location-based reminders – Siri can be used to set a reminder, like saying “remind me to call mom at 4 today.” But you know you can set location-based reminders on your iPhone 4S. Say “Remind me to call mom when I get home,” and you’ll be notified accordingly.