QUIZ: Buyers’ Favorite Features
What do buyers want most in a new home? Find out how well you know your customers’ house-hunting priorities. This quiz covers some of the top findings from the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®’ 2007 Profile of Buyers’ Home Feature Preferences,
which collected responses from more than 2,500 buyers who recently purchased a home. The information can give you an edge in working with buyers and marketing your listings.
1. What single home feature do buyers say they want most in a new home?
a. Walk-in closet in master bedroom
b. Central air conditioning
d. Fully finished basement
2. What’s the median size of homes purchased between late 2005 and early 2007?
a. 2,230 square feet
b. 1,840 square feet
c. 1,450 square feet
d. 1,000 square feet
3. Repeat buyers tend to be choosier than first-time buyers. In particular, repeat buyers place much more emphasis on these home features:
a. Fireplaces and air filtration systems
b. Bay windows and finished basements
c. Oversized garages and master bedroom walk-in closets
d. Backyards and proximity to entertainment
4. Within three months after buying a home, nearly half of all buyers remodeled or made improvements to which part of the house?
a. Master Bathroom
d. Home office
5. Which home feature saw the biggest jump in buyer popularity since 2004, when NAR conducted its previous buyer preference survey?
a. High-speed Internet access
b. Media room
c. Eat-in kitchen
d. Oversized garage
6. What three features did buyers say they’d be most willing to pay extra for in a home?
a. Proximity to work, a wooded lot, and a backyard or play area
b. Whirlpool baths, proximity to schools, and a deck
c. A corner lot, a lawn sprinkler system, and high-end kitchen appliances
d. Central air conditioning, walk-in closets, and hardwood floors
7. A home’s energy efficiency is most important to which segment of buyers?
a. Repeat buyers
b. Second-home buyers
c. New-home buyers
d. First-time buyers
8. Where do first-time home buyers tend to purchase a home?
a. Rural area
b. City or urban area
c. Suburb or subdivision
d. Small town
9. What’s the most common type of home purchased?
a. Single level
b. Split level
c. Two levels
d. Three levels
10. What did new-home buyers most wish their home had more of?
c. Kitchen space
Here is a quiz courtesy of
American Home Shield